I’ve been wanting to make one of these for about two years. I eat entirely too much ice cream and I’m always vowing to not buy it anymore, so I never made the cozy. Finally, I just decided to make one, because let’s face it–I’m never going to give up ice cream!
This cozy is knit from the bottom center outward, and then up.
- size 7 needles for knitting in the round (dpns or magic loop)
- about 20 grams of worsted weight yarn (I used Patons Classic Merino)
- stitch marker
- tapestry needle
- 5 sts = 1 inch
- KFB: Knit front/back. Knit into the next stitch like normal, but don't drop it off the needle. Knit into the same stitch from the back. One increase made.
- KLL: Knit left loop. With your left needle, pick up the left loop of the stitch two rows below the last stitch you just made, and knit into the back of it. One increase made.
- M1: Make one. There are lots of different ways to do this, but I make a backwards loop (like you would for casting on, but you're only going to do one stitch like this).
- 2x2 rib: Knit 2 sts, purl 2 sts. Repeat around.
- BO: Bind off in pattern.
CO 8 sts and join, using Emily Ocker's Circular Cast-On. Place marker at the beginning of the round.
Rnd 1: KFB each st around. (you should have 16 sts)
Rnd 2 and all even rows: Knit.
Rnd 3: (K2, KLL) around. (24 sts)
Rnd 5: (K3, KLL) around (32 sts)
Rnd 7: (K4, KLL) around (40 sts)
Rnd 9: (K5, KLL) around (48 sts)
Rnd 11: Purl around.
Next: Work stockinette stitch (knit every round) for 1.5 inches (measuring from the purl row)
Next round: *K12, M1* around. (52 sts)
Next: Work stockinette stitch until the cozy measures 2.75 inches from the purl row.
Next: Work 2x2 rib for 5 rows.
BO in pattern. Using tapestry needle, weave in ends.